A message from the blogger.

I started this as away to share some thoughts. So without you, the reader, this blog is only half fulfilled.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, or concerns. Also I encourage you to follow this blog for the next 361 days. Knowing that someone is reading, will probably get me through this daunting journey.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No House for Me.


In reading, the second installment of Samuel I found a passage that spoke to me. For a long time I searched hard, trying to figure out if going to church is important… to be more accurate if it was important for building my connection with God. For creating my personal relationship with God, which I always felt loses its intimacy when I have to involve a whole community of people.
The thought that some people believe that the best way to get connected to God is to seek him through the words of others, has always bothered me.
I have noticed that in the bible when God talks to someone it is normally when they are alone. One on One. The characters portrayed and revered the most in the bible are the ones who have a very personal connection to God.
In 2 Samuel 7, David decides he wants to build a house for the LORD, where he will rest the arc of the Lord. However, God sends message through David’s messenger that He being God Almighty, needs no man to build a house for his Name. That in fact he will build his own house through his own son.
Of course, this leads me to question why so many Christians or Catholics, attend church every Sunday.
I have read a good deal of the New Testament, enough to know that the Son of God, Jesus, never established a “house of cedar” for God. In addition, I know enough to know that the house that God is referring to in this chapter is the connection of the loving spirit between God and his people. The house Jesus creates is the human vassal in which God can dwell.
So why should we go to church on Sunday morning? Is it for the sense of community, a need to be around like-minded people, the feeling to be accepted? If God himself speaks out against men building churches in his name, then wouldn’t going to a church built by man almost be blasphemous?
Is it not arrogant to believe that we modern day people have the right to do something that could told one of his most devoted and trusted followers not to do.
So today, I am going to make a vow to continue to pose this question to my church going friends…
Why do you go to Church?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to church because it holds me accountable (to myself - perhaps I am not strong enough to do so on my own.) Possibly more important it MAKES me set aside time for God and reflection.

    I think through times of despair and joy, it is important to have Godly people around holding you up, and keeping you humble. It makes me think of ways I was not pleasing to God throughout the week and how I can be better. I think it also makes me look at passages and history, or culture, in a new light and think on things I may not have on my own - similar to your blog.

    I think one of the biggest misconceptions is people taking literal passages that were customary to the time. Example - men had many wives (it made sense historically) or you couldn't eat shrimp (you didn't have a freezer chest to keep it fresh.) One we recently reflected upon with our wedding was a father giving his daughter away. In biblical times women were property - flat out. That is not so today.

    I think the passage you are reflecting on, you must also reflect on the time it was written and the culture it was in. There was a lot of sin and corruption. Sadly there is still today, but I don't think on such a grand scale. Even if you look in the New Testament, Jesus over turned tables and created havoc at a temple because they were not worshiping there, but bartering and selling making a mockery of his Father's house.

    Once in the New Testament, possibly repose this question to yourself. A "church" wasn't necessarily a building, but a community. Jesus broke bread with his disciples. In my eyes, that relationship to God through other people is more important than any physical structure.

    Lots of people choose to worship or have relationship with God on their own, not in church, and I think that is beautiful. For me, it is a time to reconnect and learn so I enjoy it. My thought, to each his own, however if you'd ever like to come with us to explore that community, you are always welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dom. if I'm not mistaken, the house was for God, not for going to temple or a synagogue or a place of worship. It was a place for God to dwell. When he mentions sending his son he means he will dwell in his son who will go out and do the work and teaching he was meant to do. And, if God dwelt in Jesus, why was Jesus be a synagogue attending person? Why would Jesus have surrounded himself with disciples who would learn and then go on to teach others if this was sinful and offensive to God? Just a couple things to think about.

    Now, why do I go to church every Sunday? Because this is where we reset and center. We are reminded that we are holy creatures worthy of love and called to caring and loving others. We celebrate together as a community and as the bible says (somewhere), "Whenever two or more are gathered in my name, there will I (God) be also". I go to be with other vessels of God - to be in the presence of holiness and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the church is not a place to me. The church is the people and this is where God dwells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stacy and Em,

    I agree with you, "the church is the people" and that is where God dwells. A friend sent me something on facebook stating the importance of fellowship and connection. I agree with all of this.

    I'm wondering, if everyone agrees that the house is the people, then where does all the big mega church attitude come from? Why do people brow beat those who don't go to church. I tell people all the time that I read the bible. That I pray. And that I have "personal" relationship with God. They normally respond with: "Yeah but how can you have that if you don't go to church?... Or yeah, you may think you do, but when you start going to church you'll really have a 'true' connection!" Or my favorite, "If you aren't going to church your not worshipping the real God."

    I know you are not saying that and I am not suggesting you feel that way.

    I am just trying to address the mentality that says we need to attend a church building to know God. I personally feel that all the things you mentioned can happen in my living room or down by the beach with friends.

    Your words are very encouraging for people like me and others. It let's the world know that there is still an accepting voice out there that says, "you can attend or church or not attend a church but you are always welcome." Even if it may not be as vocal as the other nay saying voices... I hear you and I thank you.

    Thanks Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I also found interesting is that the "house of God" was only to be accessed by certain people, and even they questioned their validity. in the New Testament, Jesus "turns the tables of gamblers" because they were defiling a House of God. They were places of sacrament...places of sacrifice. As for church...th Biblical context is simply, "a gathering of men." Men were advised to meet to fellowship amongst one another, and more notably, refresh their weakened bond with God. But this can be done with 5 guys sitting on your couch. But the creation of a place for these guys to meet became a dwelling of worship, which then became...Joel Osteen...overtime of course. As for Sunday, it is human declaration that Sunday is the day of rest, and also the day of worship in many festivals throughout the Bible, which I'm sure you speculated. Put them together, and you have the mega churches of today...who instead of unifying to fellowship to the masses, compete to attain members. Can't speak for all, but I can speak by experience. The funny part is...the bigger I attend, the less intimate it becomes, which adds to your point. Also, there is the "guilt" member who feels they NEED to go or they will feel bad...they are not doing their part, etc. A follower of God is a follower ALL THE TIME. Church is but ANOTHER opportunity to worship, not THEE pinnacle of worship. As for the idea of going...any man/woman who chooses to go to a place to give God 100% of their time/favor/worship can't be doing a disservice in my opinion. And if there is dissension/deception in these dwellings, God will seek the deceiver, not the receiver. I, Jarek Khan, do NOT belong to a church, nor do I plan or starting a "membership," but I will always respect and practice the original concept of church, because no man can be content without fellowship.

    Not sure if I should leave comments here or the blog, lol

    ReplyDelete