A message from the blogger.

I started this as away to share some thoughts. So without you, the reader, this blog is only half fulfilled.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, or concerns. Also I encourage you to follow this blog for the next 361 days. Knowing that someone is reading, will probably get me through this daunting journey.

Friday, January 14, 2011

How far is too far? How much is too much?

Well the first thing that I have realized about creating this blog is that if I wanna keep it up, I’m going to have to start everyday with a journal entry. 

Yesterday, I finished the Book of Ruth, mainly because I wanted to read something from the Bible I had never heard stories of or read. A real fresh start. In addition, it was a little confidence booster to be able to say, "I finished one entire book in the bible."

Well, as some of you may or may not know, the story of Ruth is a story of a woman (non-Israelite) who chose to stay with her mother-in-law (Naomi), accepting the Judaic lifestyle and worship the God of Israel, after the deaths of her husband, brother-in-law and father-in-law (Naomi's husband). After returning to Naomi's homeland, Ruth finds favor with one of the upper-class men there and he soon takes her as his wife. They have a son, who becomes the grandpa of King David, leader of the Jews. 

The first interesting thing about this story is that Naomi, a supposed believer of God, is convinced that God is against her, and that she must be cursed to have suffered such a tragedy as losing both her sons and husband. She felt dejected and tried to push out of her life the people that still loved her most, her two daughter-in-laws, Ruth and Orpah. After awhile she was able to convince Orpah to leave (I'm trying... very... hard... resist... the urge... to make... a Harpo joke), but Ruth would not budge. She wanted to stay on with Naomi even though she had tried to vehemently to push her away. In the end it is through Ruth's persistence that Naomi is able to have her first grandson, Obed, in whom she is overjoyed. Moreover, because of this gift Naomi finds restoration in her faith in God. 

Another interesting point is that Ruth leaves behind her family and traditions to go with Naomi, with nothing more than the bond of love and care as her guide. Why? Why, give up everything you know, for some selfish person who rejects you? Think of all the stuff Ruth sacrificed to try to aid Naomi. This really turns the whole, “blood is thicker than water” cliché on its head.

I wonder how Ruth must have felt. I can relate to the feeling of being shut out from someone's life that I have loved... having had people I’ve tried to help push me away. I know that after being rejected for a while you feel like, "OK, well forget it, you're on your own… I give up!" Is that the right thing to do? I don’t know. However, in Ruth's case it would have really messed things up if she had not been brave enough to see it through and be even more persistent. 

So today, I am going to try to use this as a lesson for me to be stronger when others are weak. When someone comes at me with rejections, I will show acceptance. When someone says no, I won't get mad and I won't secretly dream of punching them in the face. Instead, I will try to think about Ruth, and think about how King David would have never been born if she had let Naomi's rejection get her down. Today I will give of myself willing expecting nothing back in return. Helping only because I care.

This story begs the question: When is enough, enough? Where do you draw the line and say I quit?  However more importantly, the story exemplifies that if you believe in something deep in your heart you will know that there is no line and there can never be enough. 
Ok, now I feel like Morpheus. Well, I guess I’ll go all the way with it then and say… 

Sometimes, those around us are unable to see the big picture and like Naomi, the obstacle directly in front of them stunts them. Someone has to be the Phil Jackson and be able to see beyond the present situation. 

Today that someone will be me.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you took away a powerful message. I've always liked the story of Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can still secretly want to punch someone in the face as long as afterward, you open yourself back up to others to help them. You are human, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete