A message from the blogger.

I started this as away to share some thoughts. So without you, the reader, this blog is only half fulfilled.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, or concerns. Also I encourage you to follow this blog for the next 361 days. Knowing that someone is reading, will probably get me through this daunting journey.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

THE FALLEN HERO


As I finished the book of Samuel... Yes… and reveled in the feeling of accomplishment I had to look back at the stories that unfolded.
Not every chapter was revealing or informative, some were down right repetitive and a bit tedious.
But I try to approach the reading with the attitude that, “They must still be there for a reason… so find the reason.” Well, this is what I got out of the 2 Samuel.
The first lesson is that it is easy to label a person bad or good, if you only look at them or know them on the surface. I have read stories about King David before, seen the statues raised in his “image”, and marveled at the paintings. Like most people, I have always seen David as a real Hero, not just a hero, but also a hero of the people. And why not? Isn't that his depiction in all the aforementioned, as a hero with the very essence of righteousness?  Well, that describes David best if you read the first few chapters of 1 Samuel (Chapter 17-24) and then skip right to David’s song in 2 Samuel (Chapter 22). However, if you actually read all the accounts of David once he is King, then you get the picture of a different man entirely.
A man drunk with power, able to kill people at will for defying him or his orders. A man who could kill the messenger that delivered bad news (2 Samuel 1). A man who plotted against one of his own followers and had him killed, just so he could sleep with the man’s wife, Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). A man who manipulated and at times hid behind the bravery of his warriors but made sure to come forward when it was time to claim the praise and credit (2 Samuel 10-21).
After a thorough reading of David, I almost felt like I did when I heard Magic Johnson had AIDS, or Bill Clinton was cheating. A little shattered, left with that, “Come on, not him too” feeling. Then again, that is what this story of David is all about. It takes you through all the dirt behind the glory and victories, teaching us a two very valuable lesson from two different points of view.  
First: Do not place too much value in the man’s visage, before you learn what is in his heart.
In today’s society of overnight reality stars and pop-rock politicians, it is easy to be engrossed in all the media hype rather than focus on the real details that are important. We engage a lot in frivolously interaction because we try very hard to avoid being hurt or having to be the bearers of something meaningful. Maybe that is why it’s so much easier to just hit the like button on Facebook, rather than to really leave a real message. I think that’s because we all know that to take on a meaningful task would mean to take on more responsibility, more chances to fail, more times to possibly be disappointed or hurt. There is a risk in real interaction and at times a real cost. However it also gives us a chance to be great, to raise the bar for not just ourselves, but for the world around us. To create true blessings were once there was nothing.
Does this mean we should never look up to other people or to never acknowledge someone’s greatness? No. I am not saying that at all. However, I do believe we must measure each person accordingly, always remembering that we are all only human. We must try to remember not to hold people so high up on a pedestal, because if they fall the only outcome is death, sometimes literally. Mistakes will happen. Faults will arise. And sometimes scandals will unfold. This is the way of every human. We are not perfect. In fact, according to science and every religion, especially the bible, we are imperfect.
Our imperfection is probably the very reason why we continue to search for a higher power or a God. Because we long for something that, unlike us, is incapable of getting “it”, wrong. A being that gets it right every time, all the time.   
This leads me to the second lesson from this 2 Samuel:
When you receive a great blessing, whether it is a superpower, a talent, an advantage or awesome athleticism, always remember why you have it. Forget not the creator who blessed you with it. Forget not the mission or the destiny that you are aligned with. The skills or talents you have are only here for a short time, make the best use of them that you can. Use them for good, or in David’s case use them for God. Do not let your talents go untested and unused. Understand that you cannot just hoard them away expecting them to be there forever.
Gifts are given to you for a purpose. Because they are appointed to you in this world, I propose that they are for you to use for this world, and by that I mean for the betterment of this world, and by this world I mean for the people in it. Cause what is a planet without its inhabitants… Mars, Jupiter, Pluto… in other words just another rock.
When I read this story, I almost could not get through it. I almost put it on the deferred list to come back to another time, but now I am glad I completed it.
The other thing I took away from this was the idea that maybe the reason we all continue to search for perfection in others and ourselves, is because just like us, God is doing the same thing. We’re created in his likeness, so in his likeness we have his love, his creativeness, his thoughtfulness, his righteousness, his anger, his vengeance, his courageousness, his compassion and just maybe… his imperfection.
After reading about God sending evil spirits onto Saul, it made me look at God in a completely new light.
The God I read about in the Book of Samuel used his good and evil simultaneously to generate different outcomes and at times to prove a point. He moved people to react in compassionate ways, but also in malicious ways. Some of the things that took place definitely did not sound like the perfect plan to me. Choosing a King, who turns around and defies you several times, does not sound so perfect. However, if in that defiling King, you can teach millions a very valuable lesson about trust and love, then I say OK, I get it. Maybe it is not whether or not it is the perfect plan, but rather if it works.
Maybe I am saying all this because it makes me feel better as a flawed human being. Maybe I am saying this because it makes it easier for me to feel less judged by God. On the other hand, maybe I am saying it because it makes God a more understandable being to me. Maybe I am saying it because God “told me to”. Maybe I am saying it because it makes logical sense to only me.
All or none of these could be true. What I do know is that I gained a closer understanding of God and mankind, after reading The Book of Samuel. If that was the plan, I guess it worked.
Therefore, today’s lesson will be to make the best use of the talents I have today for the greater good of mankind, and to practice being thankful for having them.
Wow, that takes a lot of hot air out of being arrogant. This is exactly what I was yesterday in several major ways. Guess I should have read this passage sooner.

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up. I'd hit "like" on your page for the blog link, but I dare not!! Good stuff Dom, as always. Lots of good lessons. I think breaking down the bible happens to be one of your many talents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend, well said...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Soon to be Dad!? YAY!!!!!

    2. cage fighter? I want photos.

    3. Just out of curiosity, how are you reading the Bible? What I mean is, are you reading it as a historical text written by a multitude of people (or, a la Ovid's Metamorphoses, like a collection of stories from over the decades), are you reading it as God's manual for humanity, or how? And is this the beginning of a larger blog where you then read the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster to round things out and compare? Just interested.

    Word.

    ReplyDelete