A message from the blogger.

I started this as away to share some thoughts. So without you, the reader, this blog is only half fulfilled.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, or concerns. Also I encourage you to follow this blog for the next 361 days. Knowing that someone is reading, will probably get me through this daunting journey.

Monday, February 7, 2011

SCATTERED AND CHUNKED


“Scattered and Chunked” not only describes a style of hash browns you can order at a "Waffle House", it also relates to my reading methods as of lately, which leads me to today’s posting. 

I was reading 1 Kings that tells the story of Solomon, a man who was granted an unprecedented wisdom from God, when I was stunted by a question that I had. Why would God have granted Solomon this wisdom? Why is he granted the ability of having an understanding greater than any other has, before or after him, except maybe Jesus?  Which of course, lead me to the story of the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11: 1-10. 

This is something that has always troubled me. If you read the story as it is written, is there something inherently wrong or deviant about the people building the tower?

They created a tower so that if ever they were scattered about the earth again, they would know where to return. They wanted to name the tower to make a name for themselves as people. Is that like naming a country America and calling yourself Americans?

I have read that some religious scholars interpret this story as, the people were creating a tower to glorify it in their on name, which defies the glory of God. Or maybe, the people were creating the tower so they could make it to heaven and know the ways of God. 

This is the one time in history, which we know of, were all of mankind spoke one language and got along in peace. That is assuming you believe in or except biblical history. Note I don't count Adam and Eve because Eve schemed Adam into the suffering of man, so that doesn't count as getting along in peace… and of course, they're offspring Cain and Abel also don’t count, because they were the first Hatfields and McCoy's, so no peace there either. 

For me the toughest thing to accept is, why would God scatter the people and their ability to communicate. It says God came down, saw they were building the tower and said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other”, and then he scattered the people about the earth. However, it never says why?

What was their crime, higher intelligence (no pun intended)? Wanting to know God? Arrogance? Pride? Unification? Being malicious to clouds? What is the crime that caused such a punishment? Discovering man's ability to accomplish great things? 

This makes me wonder more about Jesus’ mission. It is said, that we can do great things. "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.” However, looking at the story of Babel combined with the teachings of Jesus, the thing that stands out the most to me, is that the people did achieve something great without praising God. They just got to work and started working. Is that their sin? 

Does this mean if you are doing many great things: curing cancer, saving children, building homes for the homeless, etc and you don't praise God or Jesus for giving you the ability to do it, that it becomes a sin. Does God come down and smash the homes you have built? Is that the message, we are to take away from this story. 

If so, then today's society is definitely disobeying God: shooting rockets to the moon, speaking English, printing Bibles in English and forcing societies around the world to speak in one tongue, forcing a one world view on people, making smart-phones and connecting people through facebook.

I can’t help but wonder, what God's plan or purpose was when he scattered the towers, which makes me question if we are messing with his plans now? Does God really want unification? Does He really want us to be able to accomplish all of our hearts desires? (OK, this one I can probably answer with a resounding, NO... let's be honest some people's hearts have bad intentions). In addition, does God want humanity to live in peace? 

There are many stories in the bible that show that God supports division amongst people. Maybe He has a grand design for division and separatism in society. Which makes me wonder if unification is simply a made up dream of humans, who desire a feeling of universality that may be triggered by a desire to know God or a universal "creator" being?

On the other hand, maybe the people were simply scattered and divided because God, didn't want them to be unified until he sent Jesus to do so. This would mean the people of Babel were not punished for sinning but they were simply scattered because God wanted humanity to wait until He sent Jesus. 

I walk away from this experience feeling a bit puzzled, a bit relieved and somewhat concerned about my own intellect and curiosity. Am I like the people building the tower of Babel, whenever I pose questions about God or to God? Does my thinking out of the box of religion and what I've been told offend? Will my desire to search for the truth and to reach a better understanding/connection with God cause me to be scattered? 

All I know is my strong curiosity is molded from the words of Luke, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." 

This is a way of life, I can truly believe in. Therefore, I guess my questioning is all right. But then again it never says what is on the other side of the door that opens, or what you will receive.  

Today, I have more questions then answers. So, my lesson today is to learn to live with not knowing. Maybe, that's the message of the Babel story. That we aren't meant to know everything, and we can not always be right. 

Ok, I feel better closing this out now. Sorry I had to drag you all along with me through this arduous up hill battle. But I think I finally get it. 

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment